Aboveground Storage Tank – Underside Injection
The NTIC® Zerust® Oil & Gas team was awarded a project aimed to provide corrosion protection for tank soil-side bottom steel plates located in a Mediterranean climate. One tank at this facility was scheduled for corrosion protection utilizing volatile corrosion inhibitor (VCI) technology.
Electrical Resistance (ER) probes were previously installed on this tank and were not provided by NTIC. The ER probes were installed into four (4) out of the six (6) leak detection ports located in the concrete ring wall foundation. Liquid corrosion inhibitor slurry was injected into the sand pad foundation as a means of corrosion protection for the soil-side bottom plates.
Goals and Objectives
- Install Inhibitor Delivery System (IDS) Seal at the tank chime
- Inject corrosion inhibitor slurry into the tank sand pad foundation
- Install ER probe enclosures for the previously installed probes
Zerion® FVS Dry Powder.
- All leak detection ports were eventually utilized for the slurry injection.
- ER probe enclosures were installed for the four (4) ER probes located around the tank.
- The project was completed per the timeline established.
- The universal ER probe enclosures allow for easy access to the probes while maintaining the functionality of the leak detection ports.
- Tank SSB IDS systems can be replenished while the tank is in operation.
- VCIs offer non-permanent corrosion protection at the molecular level that is safe and eco-friendly.
- VCI dispersion ensures uniform distribution across the tank bottom.
- Maintenance time is significantly reduced.